Every now and then I begin to think my days of youth are past me. Case in point: the obsession with “brow game.” For those of you who don’t know, or haven’t noticed, there is an eyebrow obsession sweeping the Instagram nation and this movement doesn’t limit itself to merely shaping the brows you’re blessed with but actually filling them in and making them thicker.
Sure, when filled in brows look good, they look good, but believe me, when they look bad, they look bad. Ever hear the phrase “Sharpie eyebrows”? Yup.
Here are some things to consider when deciding on your brow look.
- Bone Structure
- Natural Eyebrow Width
- Natural Eyebrow Hair Growth
- Natural Eyebrow Shape
- Other Makeup
- Skill Level: Novices might find it easier to fill in their brows with a powder 1-2 shades lighter than their natural eyebrows. Pros, on the other hand, might feel comfortable drawing on thicker eyebrows with a sharpened brow pencil.
Conclusion? Super heavy filled in brows are not for everyone and not for every makeup look. Personally, there are two stages to my eyebrow look
- I don’t do my brows at all on a no or light makeup day.
- I fill in my eyebrows only with a light brow powder on darker makeup days.
- Personally, I almost never use a brow pencil, because with my looks and my eyebrow filling skills, that look is never not going to look harsh.
Trust your instincts! Thick brows might be trendy, but if you think they look harsh on you, they probably do.
And psst, always do what’s right for your face over what’s trendy.
So what do you think? Do you fill in your brows or is this trend just not working on you? Sound off in the comments below!