Wanna rock a red lip, but don’t know how? I was in the same boat for most of my life. Now I realize that a lot of it is finding the right color and formula, but when we’re on a budget and shopping for our makeup in the drugstore, getting to try on lipstick is a luxury we just don’t have. Here are my tips for pulling off a red lip even with uncooperative formulas.
- Start off with a lip liner. When red lipsticks bleed it tends to be more noticeable because of their bright color. Lip liners help with this as well as help your lipstick to last all day. Pro Tip: You don’t have to use a red lip liner. The red lipstick I have isn’t quite deep enough for my tastes, so I’m using the purpley-brown lip liner pictured below in order to deepen the color out.
- Apply your lipstick and blot! Another great way to keep your lipstick lasting.
- Reapply your red lipstick on top. Extra layers means extra protection against wear
- Clean up around your mouth with concealer. Red lipstick can get messy, so if you color outside the lines a little bit, use a trace amount of concealer around your mouth to create a clean line
- Eyes: While some suggest simple eye makeup to keep the attention on your lips, bold makeup can be pretty too. The choice is up to you. Even if you choose a simple look, however, you’ll still want to define your eyes to keep your look balanced. Extra mascara can help with that.
- Face: Red lipstick can bring out red spots and other discoloration in skin. A little foundation and concealer ensures your skin looks perfect.
So there you have it! My top tips for rocking a red lip? Do you wear red lips? What are your tips?