Hello lovely readers. I haven’t done any reviews this week or last, so today I’m doing a double feature, yay! Remember how I keep telling you to sign up for rewards programs so you can get a free gift on your birthday? Well this year, both Ulta and Sephora gave out a free mascara and now that I’ve gotten a chance to use them, I’m going to review both.
- Product: Deluxe sample of Makeup Forever’s Smoky Eyes Mascara
- The Wand: The wand on this mascara is fabulous. It’s pine cone shaped, so you can use the fat end to get tons of volume and a nice curl, while the smaller end is good for smaller inner eyelashes and bottom lashes.
- The Formula: I’ll be honest. I don’t have very high standards for formulas. As long as it doesn’t run all over my face or into my eyes throughout the course of a normal day, I approve. This one seemed fairly typical
- Price: Full sized is $24.00. The value of this mini is around $12.00
- Cruelty-Free: No
- Product: Calvin Klein One Mascara
- The Wand: This has an interesting wand, like none I’ve ever seen before. It’s plastic with straight bristles, but it has the option to twist the bristles so they form curved instead of straight rows. Twisted is supposed to give you more volume, while straight is supposed to lengthen. Personally, I find this a bit gimmicky and don’t see a huge difference between the two.
- The Formula: Like, I said, I’m not the best judge of formula, but this seems pretty standard
- The Price: $18.00
- Cruelty-Free: No
The Verdict: Of the two, I prefer the MUFE mascara because of the wonderful wand! However, I don’t think either is so much better than drugstore mascara to justify the price. In the future, my next mascara purchase is going to be a cruelty-free drugstore brand.
So what do you think? Did you pick up your free birthday gift from Sephora or Ulta? Did you try either of these mascaras? What’s your favorite mascara? Let me know in the comments below