Confession: Some Sundays I get sucked into the vortex of Youtube Beauty Gurus. I could literally spend an hour or more watching makeup tutorials and going from one related video to the next. Which got me thinking, despite spending oh I dunno, 10 years doing my makeup on the daily, there are still some techniques I just can’t master.
- Contouring: When I started doing my own makeup, all the beauty magazines told me this was the way of the past. But in recent years, it seems like contouring has made a comeback in a big way. Kim K does it and well, you get the picture. I can manage a little subtle contouring under my cheekbones with bronzer (if that counts? I have a feeling it doesn’t) but despite my best efforts, I can never manage the full out contour that I see pop up so frequently.
- Eyebrow Pencils: Maybe this is for a lack of trying. After some harsh battles with an eyebrow pencil when I was seventeen, I switched to a brow powder and never looked back.
- False Eyelashes: People who can make this look natural are goddesses! I admit that I’m not too shabby anymore, but there was quite a learning curve. When I first started, I could not blend them into my real lashes for the life of me and the inner corners had a way of unsticking and settling into a crooked position. I’ve defeated this by switching to half lashes and with some magic from my mascara and eyelash curler, but WOW. I also feel like without a bit of eyeliner on my lower lash line, no way do the falsies belong on the same eyeball as my skimpy lower lashes.
- Any Pinterest Hairstyle Ever
- Curling Irons: Sad and true. Hard as I try, my curling iron curls fall flat and frizzy in a matter of hours. I have much better luck with no heat approaches.
So these are the beauty tricks I just can’t master no matter how many Youtube gurus I watch. Are there any techniques you haven’t gotten a hold of? Let me know in the comments below!