Anyone with acne has heard of purging. No, not the movie, but the idea that skin gets worse before it gets better. It’s a stressful time when we don’t know if we’re on the road to clear skin or if the new product is irritating us. Luckily, the internet has the answers for finding the difference between them.
- Ask your dermatologist. If you are lucky enough to have one, your dermatologist is a great resource that should be able to tell you if your new prescription will cause your skin to purge.
- Check your ingredients. Here’s the truth. Skin purges not because all the gunk in your pores is rising to the top, but because chemical exfoliants are causing your skin to shed faster and then stuff underneath to pop up faster.
- Ingredients that Make Your Skin Purge: AHAS, BHAs, and retinoids commonly cause skin to purge. Salicylic acid is a very common purger.
- Things that Probably Aren’t Making Your Skin Purge: That new moisturizer or foundation. Toner is an interesting one. Many toners contain salicylic acid which can cause skin to purge, but many others contain alcohol, which can actually make acne prone skin break out more.
- Check you breakouts. Tiny whiteheads are more common during purging than fat cystic acne.
So that’s it for my tips. Has your skin ever purged? Do you hate it? Let me know in the comments below.