Friends, Roman, countrymen, lend me your ears! Okay, so maybe I shouldn’t write this. Although I have a lot of followers (and I love you all!) I don’t have the most successful blog out there by any means. But after reading Gold Glitter Diaries post on what makes a successful blog, I was inspired to make my own post about what it means to run a successful beauty blog.
- Work on Aesthetics: The visual is important. Yes, we find blogs a lot of times through our WordPress readers and don’t always get to see the layout. But, a lot of people actually find our blogs through Google and a good layout gives those visitors reason to come back.
- Create Original Content: Yes, I love a good reblog every once in a while. But if you want people to continue coming back to your blog, creating your own posts is key. The majority of your blog should be posts that you yourself have created.
- Post Your Own Photos: Unlike I did for this blog post (oops!) Okay, clearly I don’t do this for every post, but I think it’s important to use your own photos when you are reviewing a product. Personally, when I search for a product, the #1 thing I’m looking for are swatches. I’ve already seen the company’s picture of the product. What I want to see is the picture of the product on a real live human being.
- …Or, at the Very Least, Don’t Use Copyrighted Images: This one is close to my heart. Everything you produce has an implied copyright. That means that unless the person who took the picture says it’s okay to use, you need to look elsewhere for images. I find all images that I don’t take myself from Wikicommons (including the image above) and I make sure the abide by the guidelines set by the owner of the images.
- Tag Properly: One of the best lessons I’ve learned as a blogger. When I started, if I posted about a lipstick, I would tag it “lipstick.” Now that I’ve been blogging for a bit, I’ve realized that people rarely search for just “lipstick.” A better way to get that content noticed is to tag it “lipstick,” “makeup,” “beauty,” and other relevant tags. Just think about what you search for when you search specific tags on wordpress.
- Respond to Comments: I try to respond to all your comments, honestly! I’m glad when you visit my site and we can have a conversation.
- Search for Blogs With Similar Interests: A lot of people find me because I found them first. I read a ton of beauty blogs, and I “like” every post that I enjoy reading, which is quite a few of them.
So these are my top tips. Like I’ve said, I’m not an expert by any means so I would love to hear what YOUR top tips are in the comments below.